Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Austin. Like Boston. With an A, U, and an I.

Austin isn't really that much like Boston except that it's small, and liberal, and the weather is relatively unpredictable. We arrived and it was like 60+ degrees at night. The next morning it was 38. People were freaking out, schools were closing. There was talk of ice. It was ridiculous.

But Austin is a nice little town, though it's hard to explore thoroughly when you've got a giant hood up that falls over your eyes. As far as I can tell it's great. University of Texas is right there. The college kids generally stick to their college neighborhoods and the rest of the city does its own thing. We went to 6th Street, which is like the New Orleans Bourbon Street of Austin - just a long street of bars, really. But we went in the day time because we had plans to check out the Continental Club at night (my post below).

We also saw the famous bat bridge. There's a bridge in Austin that houses thousands of Bats, living in the crevices underneath. You can hear them squeaking as you walk underneath it. BATMAN! Also. There's a big sign nearby: Bat Facts! My favorite bat fact is that they do not get tangled in your hair.-I think it's great that they had to note that as a Bat Fact.

I would definitely come back here to catch it on a warmer day. Especially for another $2 mini margarita. Adorable. Not to mention the amazing view from the rolling hills just Northwest of the city. The houses in those hills are spectacular, and the views are fantastic. I can't wait to steal more photos from Jeff, since my camera died before hitting the best of it. It was nice to have a day of rest, and now we're off to New Mexico - I've been looking forward to this like crazy. I. Am. So. Excited. Thankfully the weather has passed (in one day, of course) and it should be in the 60s+ for the rest of our ride. Hallelujah. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment